Anton Stadniczenko

December 19, 2011 0 Comments

I received a Bachelors in Viticulture and Oenology  and a certificate in commerce from Lincoln in 2007.

The university had posted a graduate opportunity at Treasury Wine Estates (formerly Fostersgroup) based in Australia on the intranet. I applied and was accepted for the position, which consisted of a 2 year term, made up of 3 secondments around the company vineyards. This included McLaren Vale, Sunraysia and Coonawarra. For the last 2 years I have been a vineyard supervisor for Wynns of Coonawarra, a vineyard-holding of over 1600 ha of high quality grapes, and just recently I have accepted a position as assistant manager for Penfolds in the Barossa Valley.

The Bachelors in Viticulture and Oenology course definitely held me in good stead for my future once I had completed studying. The practical elements of the course tie in well with lectures to help put theory in to practise, a very important part of getting the most out of what you learn. The lecturers and tutors have a wealth of knowledge and experience, something that can often be overlooked by some students. Personally I decided to focus my studies on the viticulture side of the industry, as vineyard management was my ideal career, however the winemaker is ‘our’ customer so knowing the in’s and out’s of oenology is very important. Thus I am grateful that Lincoln’s program included both, a feature that other viticulture degrees do not always offer. I’m delighted with the path of study I under took and I love this industry. France, Germany, South Africa, Chile, USA, Australia… this industry could take you wherever you like! Yes, the vintage requires long hours and the cold during pruning can be unbearable, but the joy that I get from knowing that I grew those grapes that turned into an outstanding bottle of wine far outweighs all that!

#Alumni#Profiles

Previous Post

Next Post