GIS Blog

1

Two NZs?

New Zealand often suffers from being overlooked on world maps.  At least one map has tried to reverse that trend.

When it comes to world maps, NZ has a problem.  We often get forgotten!   So much so that there’s a whole section of the internet dedicated to documenting this.  One doesn’t need to look very far to see lots of examples.  Even the United Nations forgets about us, and we’ve had quite a lot to do with them in the past few years:

Where’s NZ?

That’s why I was so flabbergasted (yes, flabbergasted) when I came across a map with the opposite problem recently – not zero, not one, but TWO New Zealands:

Here’s a closer look – one for each side of the map:

It’s partly because of where we’ve ended up in Zealandia’s tectonic wandering, but it also has to do with human convention.  Just bad luck that we’ve ended up on the opposite side of the world from the Prime Meridian.  They don’t call us the Antipodes for nothing.

If I’m going to feel sorry for anyone (or anywhere) on this map it would probably be Antarctica.  A whole continent barely gets a look in.  This is but one small victory in a great battle of not being forgotten by the rest of the world.

C

• September 12, 2019

Previous Post

Comments

1. Sokna September 15, 2019 - 11:43 am Reply

When I was young, I always got confused where exactly the North and South America continents are. Some maps place them on the left while some put them the right edge of the map.
    Until I bumped into a map with two NZs, this doubt I carried for years has been explained. Not that I learned there are two territories with exactly the names and geographical features do exist on our planet, but I learned that the left and the right edges of the maps are connected – the earth is round.